Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Cookie Dough Dip with a Bullet


I'm definitely a lover of chocolate chip cookie dough, so when I ran into a recipe for one you could eat straight and guilt-free... I made sure to make it ASAP.

You can scope the recipe here if you want a gander yourself. Within that, I modified it for my circumstance (Magic Bullet vs. quality food processor). It's from a healthy dessert blogger named Chocolate Covered Katie. Believe me, I was quite skeptical myself, until I Googled people's opinions of all her other treats, including this one. Ultimately, she has my trust, and stomach.

But I digress.

I coddled this recipe as if it were a firstborn. I read through pages of reviews on Chocolate Covered Katie's post for alterations people made, as well as any alternatives I would need to make.

For example, she wants you to use a quality food processor. I do not own a food processor, only a Bullet. So for all of my fellow "I-live-in-an-apartment-and-can-barely-make-room-for-a-toaster-on-my-countertops" patrons, I have my altered recipe that I felt needed to share with anyone else who owned a Bullet, or anything else that wasn't a food processing dream. Because one of the more common complaints I saw was the texture being off-putting. But mine was smoooooooth.

One of the first things I did was take all the skins off each and every chickpea. I only saw one complaint about it, but better safe than sorry.

I then thoroughly rinsed small batches of the chickpeas about half a minute for each cluster, to rid of as much bean-y juice as possible.
 

 As another prep step, I blended the oatmeal needed (for thickness, I assume) into a powder ahead of time with my Bullet.

Below, are the exact instructions from Chocolate Covered Katie's recipe. In red, I'll put the changes I made to ensure a smooth, cookie dough, texture:

  • 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (I peeled them skins off) or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed very VERY well) (250g after draining)
  • 1/8 tsp plus 1/16 tsp salt
  • tiny bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup nut butter of choice I used Mara Natha's Raw Maple Almond Butter (You can get away with using only 3 tbsp. (I'm pretty sure I just used 3 tbsp instead of 1/4 c) If you use peanut butter, it’ll have a slight “pb cookie dough” taste, so if you don’t want this, try the Deep Dish Cookie Pie instead. Just don’t bake it.)
  • up to 1/4 cup milk of choice, only if needed I didn't use the full 1/4 cup. I used only half of that 1/4 cup, and honestly could've used a little less than that to make it a tad bit more dough-like. For reference, I used vanilla almond milk.
  • Sweetener of choice (see note below, for amount) (I didn't add the note, check her website I linked you to earlier! I used brown sugar)
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips, or these: Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips  (A lot of people, including myself, substituted for mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to get more chocolate in each bite)
    • 2 to 3 tbsp oats (Ground flax will also work) I blended the oats before I started mixing anything together.
Baby steps: blending before the blender.

Chocolate Covered Katie's instructions CONT'd:

Add all ingredients (except for chocolate chips) to a good food processor (not blender), and blend until very smooth. I did not do this with my Bullet!! Instead, I mixed all the ingredients pretty well in a bowl first, then blended with my Bullet in small incriments. Then mix in the chocolate chips. My Bullet got hot, and so did the "dough", so I let it chill in the fridge before adding the chips. They just melted otherwise. (Some commenters have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor such as a Cuisinart.) If made correctly and blended long enough, this should have the exact texture of real cookie dough! Hence my alternative, alerting, red commentary!

The last thing I saw pretty frequently in the comments section was that it tasted best when chilled for a few hours, or even kept in the freezer for a bit. I saw one person make cookie dough balls with this recipe! Froze them and dipped in tempered chocolate.

I don't know about you, but writing this post has made me hungry. I may whip up a batch in a couple of days (out of vanilla almond milk). I hope you have the confidence to try this dip! It really isn't too difficult at all; the outcome is completely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment