Monday, November 11, 2013

What Stealing Taught Me


For awhile now, I've been hearing and seeing more and more of Questlove and The Roots. Just seeing this The Red Bulletin magazine in the waiting room peaked my curiosity to the fullest.

So I stole it.

And boy, did I learn!

The only things I've known The Roots for is playing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and being musical guests on Yo Gabba Gabba... Now, I was generous enough to leave the Yo Gabba Gabba video down below. Don't knock it until you've listened to it! I swear the musical guests on that show always kill it.



Anyway, from reading Questlove's interview, I learned that a lot of talent curated in this man from the time of birth. His parents were a part of the music business, so he had the opprotunity of running every facet that show business calls for.

When asked what his sense of where new and emerging talents were honing their skills, I'd have to say his answer resonated more than anything else in the interview:

"Hip-hop kind of turned its own Ginsu sword on itself in about 1997, when suddenly only winners counted, and losers or strugglers weren't shit... You just want to watch the amazing slam dunks, not well-executed team play. Puffy started that era, in my opinion. The narrative became aspirational and all about winning. It no longer celebrated the water boy, the statistician, or the assistant coach. Those people helped the team as well." -Questlove

Questlove is like a human music history timeline. I wasn't able to finish reading the interview while at the doctor's so I slid away with it, have become enlightened and humbled because of it.

Who would've thought the waiting room was like a permanent library?

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment