Sunday, July 20, 2014

July '14 Favorites: Music

Arabella by Arctic Monkeys


The chills down my spine come from:
  • the lyrics to this song
  • the spider-like percussion that sneaks in pass the booming bass the first few seconds in
  • and the wafting sound of what I can only guess is a muffled mallet thrusted onto the surface a jumbo drum, causing the beat to melt down the bridge of the song (along with my body... down a wall...)
I have a handful of songs in my life that've become attached to memories instantly triggered as soon as the first note plays. One's "Let It Be" by The Beatles, which I can no longer listen to because it was played at a funeral I went to. Another is "Trying to be Cool" by Phoenix, which automatically brings me back to the night (slash morning) I spent in the hospital with my mom. Takes me straight back to that thin, cold cot; my Colts Snuggie; my Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood marathon on the school's rented laptop; and the RAW vegan Coconut Butter Brick cupcake I was munching on quietly with a plastic fork.

This song reminds me of gloriously sweltering summer days-- specifically this summer. It fits like a dream: hand-in-hand with the bonding days I've spent with a friend just this summer. The same friend who actually introduced me to this song months ago. I'd vaguely listened to the Arctic Monkeys' newest album a long time ago. Liked it, but nothing stuck... Until this was played to me through the intricate workings of a subwoofer-- DJ'd by the driver.




Preeetty much play this song all the time now, wherever I go.

Pretty much a necessity.

Super Rich Kids by Frank Ocean ft. Earl Sweatshirt



I've been listening to this album, but it took a loooong minute before the lyrics of Super Rich Kids struck me as genius. Like... This summer. Probably in the past month or two.

I mean... 



Not only do I love the clever play-on-words (she wash my back three times a day/the shower head feels so amazing... COME ON NOW!!!), but I adore the rhythm and especially the soulful, smooth feel it eventually pulls into the song. Initially, the beat sounds monotonous like a metronome... Like a continuous routine, but then loosens up as Frank Ocean spits truth about "Super Rich Kids"!

I just love the artistry that was mastered in this song.



Like I said, it took me forever to fully appreciate a song like this. So yes, I was late on understanding the hype that is Frank Ocean.

Hope you enjoyed my music favorites of July 2014! The words came rushing to me at 5:40am, and I HAD to entertain it. I'm pretty proud of this write-up; I hope you are too!

Now if you'll excuse me... It's past 6am, and I don't think my mind's able to produce much else. It's been fueled by music and has writing haikus for hours now. Definitely time to take a breather and rest. Good (night) morning!

 Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment