Saturday, March 8, 2014

Touring IU

Last weekend I was convinced to leave schoolwork alone for a bit so I could visit some friends I hadn't seen since last summer.

So with friends and overnight things in-tow, we headed down to IU.

After a Friday night of hugs, games, heart-to-hearts, music, drinks, and $75 worth of Chinese food. You can never go wrong when quality time is spent with great friends.

We finally headed to bed around 5am, and one by one we crawled from our crevices of sleep a few hours later.

Since we bonded for hours on end the night before, most of us went our separate ways that morning to do our own thing.

Daniel and I decided to let Sasha give us the grand tour of downtown Bloomington, and we both were quite stoked to explore. And it was a gorgeous and warm day, too? We were beyond ready to roam.


Pygmalions: The Cat-Toting Art Store!

Everyone in that surface area had breakfast on their minds, because lines to the better breakfast places went out the door everywhere we went. We needed pondering time to think of alternative food places to eat, so I kind of pestered Sasha and Daniel to go here first after I was told they housed cats as well as art supplies.




I was absolutely smitten seeing all the supplies bunched and crowded high and low. All the colors and smells were thrilling-- I wanted to buy everything.




I soon spied a kitty comfortably laying in a computer chair off to the side of the store. The owners named both store cats after artists. I can lovingly say this one was an absolute sweetheart! She'd head-butt my hand whenever I stopped petting her, and followed me with her body whenever I left her reach to look at art supplies. I want a cat so bad.




I believe this sleeping beauty's name was Kiki. She was curled up right behind a box full of $1 button pins, as dark as the shadow it casted.

Moon Stones Jewelry Shop

Sasha took us here next-- a dangerous, dangerous decision. I feel in love with all the pieces in there!








Gems for sale.
The stone incased throughout this star was stunning!
Turtle ring.
High-polished elephant ring. It took several tried to get a shot without a glare!

This anatomically correct heart I found ended up stealing my heart. And for only $6? It was sold.

I was very inspired at this jewelry store, so I'm sure I'll find a beautiful way to showcase this charm someday soon.

The heart that store my heart.

Look at the artery detail!

Some of the places we visited were attached to Laughing Planet-- a healthy burrito shop-- but we decided not to get food quite yet. We weren't finished with our exploration.

Look at the rays on this gorgeous day!
Next stop was a vintage thrift shop with two stories; there were clothes everywhere. We almost immediately headed to the second level, where more trendy and interesting clothes awaited us.

I spied on the platform railing near the stairs these beauts. It was love at first sight! Alas, they weren't my size. If only, if only...


I also ran across this gorgeous leather bag with a light gray lining. There were so many things I fell in love with here.

I decided to just take a picture, because I'm sure it'll last longer.


Which Wich?

We finally decided we were all hungry enough to grab a bite to eat. Everything was still pretty crowded, and Daniel and I wanted to try something we didn't have back in Indianapolis.

So we decided on Which Wich?.

The concept of this sandwich shop was unique and fun! You chose your initial bag, and each number matches up with a meat or specialty. So 1 could be chicken (then there are several ways you can order the chicken, 2 could be beef, 3 seafood, etc. etc... You get the deal.


Once you've picked a bag and a sharpie, you mark up your bag with any topping you'd like. The bag labels what costs extra, but majority additions-- from the crispy onion strings, to the candied walnuts-- are free of charge.

My concoction. It was missing honey mustard, but it was light and DELICIOUS!
Record Shop

After everyone ate, we headed the the underground CD and record store in the basement of the same place with the vintage clothing store.

The first record that caught my eye was this one. La Piscine: An Invitation by Laetitia Sadier to Keep On Swimming. I've listened to a couple of the five songs on Spotify since seeing this album, and the songs match the cover in my opinion. I'm not sure who Laetitia Sadier is, but her songs are beachy and relaxed.

Either something you'd play outside in the summertime while eating lunch, or in the early afternoon at an Urban Outfitters when their summer floor is out.


The last set of albums that caught my eye were St. Vincent's albums. I found out that the lady on the cover is the singer of the albums, and she was just so striking to me. Doe eyes get me every time.

St. Vincent is considered indie-rock, according to Spotify, but she definitely has some pop features to her songs. She kind of reminds me of Regina Spektor's forgotten little sister who wanted to stand out with a twist. And boy, are some of her songs quirky.



I thought her cover choice for this album was striking; I loved it.



I can't really say if I like either artist a whole ton, PERSONALLY. I'm not one for songs that are more mellow. I have to be in the mood for smooth songs like that. And St. Vincent, although not 100% mellow, is just not entirely striking a chord with me.

I'd still say they're worth checking out!

"The Gentleman's Shoppe"

I'm too lazy to look up the name of this place, but while walking the streets, we saw a window filled with structured leather suitcases and manly men things.

So we took a peek inside and as soon as you stepped in, the smell of leather and tobacco welcomed you. It was pleasant, the whole store was intriguing.

Carved pipes, NOT made out of ivory.
Our final stop was a small cafe filled with coffees, chocolate, and pastries. I didn't get anything, but Daniel got a Caribbean Rum macaron and Sasha ordered a hot Chai tea.




I apologize for the length of this post, but when you're a tourist you've GOT to take pictures galore, right?

I really enjoyed the much-needed break amongst friends and hope to see everyone again really soon.

Later, gators!

No comments:

Post a Comment