Sunday, March 30, 2014

March 2014 Favorites: Food

Excuse my crappy photo-editing and quality.

I tried, and failed. Haha. 

Anyway, I'm on to my personal category number two: favorite foods of March! Let's vein, shall we?

Honey Roasted Almonds and Pecans:

I take 'em from raw, to addictive crack in a few simple and easy steps! I'm almost one hundred percent positive all the nutrients are zapped from them by the time they're done, but hey! They're mighty tasty!

I first visited this recipe when I realized we had a HUGE tub of almonds from Costco, and no one was touching them for months.

So per usual, I looked up "easy/simple/quick"_________ recipes. And voila! I came up with this delicious outcome in about 20 minutes or so. Maybe even less time.

In a nutshell (no pun intended), you basically: roast the nuts, mix salt and sugar in a bowl, put a tablespoon of salt/sugar mix into bowl for your prepped nuts, and mix the roasted nuts (once they're ready) in honey, water, and oil-- so the salt/sugar mix can have something to adhere to.

Let 'em sit and cool, then chow down!

I get requests from my mom, dad, and grandma to make them quite a bit.


... I actually might make some this weekend now that I'm typing about them, haha!

Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar French Bread Dip

Oh laaaaaawd, I was eating this to DEATH this month! To me, olive oil is just as satisfying as butter on bread (which I'm grateful for, due to the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil).

I like doing that dipping combo, but then I decided to add a few drops of balsamic vinegar.

My heart went to heaven.

Just lightly toast some French bread for dipping and MMMMMMM.



Turkey Hill Coconut Cream Pie & Cookies and Cream Ice Cream

I THINK Turkey Hill is a brand only sold at Kroger, but boy is it good! 

My dad read my mind while he was at the store the other day, and thought I'd like a coconut cream pie ice cream. He purchased a winner.

It tastes just like a Marie Calendar frozen coconut cream pie, minus the awkward anticipation of wanting a pie you can't fully enjoy because the center's still frozen.

Maybe you'd assume the ice cream is just vanilla with coconut shavings and some type of sweet crust thrown in the mix. Nope. The actual ice cream base tastes custardy to me, and coconut prominent, and the crust bits decadent, like small nuggets of cheesecake-type decadent.

I think stray bits of the crust gems here and there really pull this frozen dessert together.


The Cookies and Cream has just always been a staple of mine. PLENTY of cookie chunks and a creamy ice cream base surrounding all of that cookie goodness.

Ever had a Chick Fil A cookies and cream milkshake? I think this ice cream is the dessert version of that. Again, the ice cream doesn't just taste like vanilla, but richer.




Together? They compliment each other beautifully.

I know this month's favorites were lacking, but I'm still learning how to plan and schedule. I'm glad to have given you some sort of content, though!

Wish me luck with future posts!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment