Tuesday, April 29, 2014

April 2014 Favorites: Music


I wouldn't say Amy Winehouse has become a staple, "on repeat", artist this month, but her music has been perfect for finishing final assignments and studying for finals.

The first time I heard any music from her that wasn't "Rehab" was when my friends and I took a road trip down to IU last month. I was absolutely enticed by what I heard: a gentle, honey-like voice (that still had the infamous Amy Winehouse pitch, mind you), surrounded by jazz beats and instrumentals.

Her lyrics were like a diary, and her soulful voice spoke its truth. I didn't know or recognize this side of Winehouse, because everyone focused on the bad, and if not that then the one and only consistent praise she got for her strong-willed voice in "Rehab." We as people need to dig deeper and not just get spoon fed what the media gives you.

I feel like looking past just the mainstream in everything is extremely important. Check out books written and published locally or that you come across on, on someone's page. Goodness... Support the people on writing sites that can't even get published yet. Check out music in your area, or look past the one sone that play on the radio to the point where you're ready to crash your car. Look up recipes on more than Food Network... buy local honey! I just truly believe gems are buried everywhere, and we can't just expect them all to come right to us. You're got to explore for yourself.

But I digress...

Check out Amy Winehouse's Spotify to listen to all her beautiful work. I'm a sucker for jazz music, so there might be a huge bias as to why I like what I heard so much. But I think just this change in what we know of Amy Winehouse shows us that she's versatile enough for the lot of us.

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment