Thursday, April 10, 2014

Indy Gems: Pho 54

Catching up with a friend led to my first Pho experience, and let me tell you...

It was PHOnomenal!! 

I HAD to do a Pho pun... It was absolutely necessary.

Anyway, we dined at Pho 54. A tiny Vietnamese restaurant/shack on the west side of town. The outside looks sketchy and faded, but the inside is clean, crisp, and open.

The two people waiting on us were an ADORABLE elderly couple. Did I mention that they were absolutely the sweetest and cutest?

No? Well they were ADORABLE. Their hospitality made the experience feel like I was eating at someone's home.

I ordered the Rare Beef Pho (Pho bo tai) and a French Iced Coffee with condensed milk (Cafe sua da).

The French Iced Coffee came out first, and OH HO HO SCREW YOU, STARBUCKS!! Sure, I drink Starbucks, but I like to support local businesses. I've heard about this coffee and I am so glad I got it. It's not too far from where I live so if nothing else I'll probably stop by to get myself some more of that iced coffee fairly frequently! $3 bucks well-spent and to a local eatery, which is absolutely fine with me.


The elderly man brought the Pho out to me, cautioning that it was very, very hot! He didn't have to worry about that... I was just stunned at how HUGE the bowl was! I'm almost certain it was as big as my head, and had the depth of a small swimming lake (no kidding, I forgot Pho came with noodles until I fished the bottom to mix my add-in into the broth).

Ah yes, the add-ins... You get a small plate piled high with bean sprouts, thai basil (stems and all), parsley, a fat lime wedge, and a few jalapeño pepper slices. Sriracha and Hoisin sauces were brought out simultaneously, as well. As you can see, the herbs and veggies was extremely fresh, and the Pho itself was superb.

Although I've never had Pho I've read that the broth makes it, and this one was very flavorful even before adding anything in it! Under the light, specs of fat glistened while the chives, onions, and beef floated gracefully among the broth.

It was seriously like glancing into a mini pond filled with lily pads and interesting foliage, except much more appetizing.


We got to the restaurant a little after 9 and even so, the staff was still cheery and conversational. When my friend attempted to order a mango smoothie, the woman explained how she hasn't bought any yet because they weren't in season. 

She went into detail about going from Asian store to Asian store, analyzing the quality the mangoes and deciding "not yet, but next month should be better."

Like I said, adorable.

I highly recommend this vietnamese place for anyone who wants to try it!


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment