Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Juicing with a Magic Bullet and a Secret Weapon

I finally did it.

I've finally JUICED!

Quite a few months ago I had a friend let me try some of her apple, carrot, and ginger juice she made with her mom before coming to campus. It was so lovely!

Just recently, I figured I could find a way to make the juice without owning a juicer. And I did.

My Magic Bullet is quite magical.



I halved this recipe just to test the juicing waters before taking this head-on for the first time. Because I split it, it needed one carrot, and I just had the baby ones. So I shaped it to about the size of one large carrot the best I could. Gotta get creative, haha.


In a nutshell: I used one Fuji apple, "one" carrot, and the ginger is to your personal preference... I may have used a bit too much when I sliced off about an inch of the ginger root. I was the only one who liked it and even so, the ginger was quite strong.
I'll be a little more careful with my portioning the next time I use ginger.


The ginger root's skin is delicate enough to peel with just a spoon. 




Because I don't have a normal-sized blender, I decided to cut up everything and blend in increments to be sure everything was thoroughly pulverized.

I also added a little bit of water, because it became somewhat of a paste at first. Just eyeball it.

But do you know the cheap secret weapon I used to convert this from a pulpy smoothie, to a smooth juice?
$.33 stockings.


Sure, there are jelly strainers... But I couldn't find any at the time and was eager to try this method out... And it worked!


If you're working a lone, you can just wrap the elastic band around you cup/container until you're done pouring. After that comes the work of milking that precious nectar into your container of choice.

It can be messy, so it's probably best to strain in a container with a wider opening to catch a good amount of the juice.


Once you're done, you should be left with a stocking full of pulp. Now, I threw mine away, and was a bit sad about doing so. It felt wasteful. So of course, you can add a bit of the pulp to your juice or even make muffins with the pulp. I've even read people juicing the carrots first in order to collect its pulp, and using it in zucchini bread (yum!).

But I digress... Clean up of your "strainer" is a breeze: flip it inside-out and rinse. It'll look brand new and should last a few more rounds before it's well-seasoned and in need of replacement with its pair.

End result!
Hope you guys give juiceless juicing a go! Even if you're not really into the whole "smoothie versus juicing" nutrition debate, it certainly beats sugary juice concentrates!





Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment